THREE goals in a whirlwind spell of five first half minutes set Colwyn Bay up for an emphatic 6-1 away win at Holywell Town to get their first league win on the board.

After a fairly even opening 20 minutes in which Sam Downey fired a chance of over the bar, Holywell were suddenly blown away as Matty Hill scored on 22 minutes, Alex Downes added a second on 25 and Kristian Platt headed into the top corner for number three two minutes later.

Home keeper Keighan Jones made a great save from James Kirby, but was beaten moments later on 43 minutes when Kirby finished off great play down the right by Cai Owen.

Holywell’s only threat was a header by Danny Sullivan that went wide from a Danny Andrews cross.

In the second half Kirby got his second of the game on 62 minutes to make it 5-0 and although Hollywell pulled a goal back with a quickly taken free kick by Danny Andrews and Ryan Woods did well top tip a Luke Wiltshire shot over the bar, Tom McCready, who had early hit the woodwork, added Bay’s sixth three minutes from the end.

Holywell’s poor evening was capped by having both Liam Ellis and Danny Sullivan sent off for second yellow cards in the second half, to see them finish the game with nine men.

Manager Steve Evans said:

“I think the scoreline speaks for itself.

“Disappointed with the free-kick to conceded but I’m not taking anything away from the players, they were excellent.

“We were head and shoulders above them from start to finish. We’ve dominated and looked in control and were solid.

“The commitment and the hard work and the graft the boys have put in is first class. That performance is testament to that hard work.”

COLWYN BAY: Ryan Woods, Stefan Edwards, Cai Owen, Lewis Sirrell, Sam Downey, Tom McCready (c), Matty Hill (Sam Hart 55 mins), Kristian Platt, Alex Downes (Joe Williams 64mins), Tom Creamer (Guto Williams 50 mins), James Kirby. Unused subs; Cameron Darling (G) and Jordan Carrington.

Attendance: 870

See Manager’s thoughts after the game on