COLWYN BAY’s six-match unbeaten run was ended as they were beaten 3-0 by top six rivals Holywell Town in front of another good home crowd of 653.

A goal down at half-time, the Bay couldn’t get back on level terms and conceded two more goals in the closing minutes to cap a disappointing night.

Bay had chances in the first half with Tom McCready hitting the bar from James Kirby’s lay off, while Kirby was narrowly wide with one shot on the turn and had another saved by the Holywell keeper, before Kieran Evans shot win after a scramble in the box.

Holywell, however, led after 26 minutes when Ilan Ap Gareth Jones scored from Dylan Allshorn’s cross and it needed good saves from Ryan Neild to keep out a couple of efforts from ex-Seagull Danny Andrews.

In the second half Kirby had a shot blocked after a driving run into the area and Kieran Evans was denied by the keeper’s feet after Kirby had had another shot blocked from McCready’s pass.

As the Bay strove for an equaliser Kirby went round the keeper but saw his shot at goal cleared by a defender, while Craig Linfield had a shot saved by the keeper and McCready fired a free kick narrowly wide.

But on 88 minutes Holywell doubled their lead through Dan Sullivan from a corner, and deep into added time David Forbes secured victory with a third.

Bay manager Steve Evans said: “I’m really disappointed with the result. 

“First half we were nowhere near where we need to be. I thought Holywell were first to the ball and looked hungrier than us, which is something I can’t accept. 

“That said we still had a few good chances to score which we didn’t take. 

“Second half I was pleased with in terms of how the lads reacted. 

“We dominated for a large period and should have equalised with one of the number of chances we created. 

“We didn’t and it came back to bite with us conceding two late goals. 

“Full credit to Holywell who made it difficult and deserved all three points in the end. 

“We have to regroup and go again Saturday against Airbus.”

COLWYN BAY: Ryan Neild, Stefan Edwards, Cai Owen (Robbie Parry 45), Lewis Sirrell, Tom McCready (c), Kieran Evans (Sam Jones 65), Dan Parry-Jones, Jordan Carrington, Craig Lindfield, Ryan Edwards (yellow card), James Kirby. Subs unused: Ashley Woods, Macsen Rhys-Williams and Danny Edwards.

Attendance: 653