COLWYN BAY had to come from behind to beat a battling Bow Street side and progress to the next round of the JD Welsh Cup.

Ifan Burrell, who was a thorn in Bay’s side all afternoon, gave the Ardal North East League side the lead after only 10 minutes following a free kick and he could have got a second only to be denied as keeper Ryan Woods saved Bay further embarrassment in a one-on-one.

The home side scrapped for everything and really unsettled Bay early on, but the Seagulls had their nerves eased when James Kirby equalised from the penalty spot on 26 minutes after Matty Hill had been brought down in the area.

Kirby then put a chance wide soon afterwards and Kristian Platt headed over the bar from a corner as they finally but Bow Street under some pressure.

Even so it needed a goal-line clearance by Lewis Sirrell to prevent the home side retaking the lead just before half-time.

The Seagulls were much better in the second half, forcing four corners in quick succession and Matty Hill shooting narrowly over the bar, before two goals in four minutes midway through the second half finally put them in charge of the tie.

Jamie Cumming got his first goal for the club to put them 2-1 up on 64 minutes and then Alex Downes fired home his fifth goal of the season.

Dylan Allshorn, whose pace down the wing caused Bow Street real problems, hit a shot just past the post and Ryan Edwards was unlucky to have a goal ruled out for offside.

Ryan Woods had to make another good save to prevent Burrell pulling a goal back, but the Bay put the icing on their cake with a fourth goal two minutes into added time when a cross from Joe Williams set up a tap in for Tom Creamer, who moments early had been denied by a great save from home keeper Ben Willis.

In the end it was job done and Bay are in the hat for the next round – but they had to work hard for it.

Manager Steve Evans commented on Radio Aber afterwards: “Bow Street were the better side first half, they probably created the better chances and deservedly went 1-0 up, but we addressed things at half-time and were a different side second half. We were on the front foot, more focused and got what we deserved in the end.”

COLWYN BAY: Ryan Woods, Lewis Sirrell (Stefan Edwards 73), Sam Downey (c), Ryan Edwards, Jamie Cumming, Matty Hill, Dylan Allshorn (Tom Creamer 80), Sam Hart, Kristian Platt, Alex Downes (Joe Williams 80), James Kirby (Cai Owen 82).

Matty Hill is brought down for the penalty which started Bay’s fightback. PHOTO BY DAMON MEAD