THERE was no repeat of last season’s Welsh Cup heroics on Deeside as the Seagulls went down 4-0 against Connah’s Quay Nomads in their third round tie.

The scoreline was a bit harsh on the Bay, who kept battling to the end, forcing 10 corners, but manager Steve Evans admitted: ” To be honest we were not good enough today.

“First half we didn’t play like we normally play. We were caught in the headlights and I didn’t recognise us.

“We went in at half-time, addressed it and second half I was proud of the lads. They worked their socks off, we were a yard faster, were in their faces and for 25 minutes were the better team. But they showed their experience and their third goal was a sucker punch.”

The Bay had the worst possible start and were a goal down inside two minutes as Mike Hayes squeezed the ball past Ryan Woods, and suffered a further blow with skipper Tom McCready struggling with a knee injury before being replaced at half-time.

Bay couldn’t get top scorer James Kirby in the game and were unable to test home keeper Andy Fish. Their best opening saw the ball break for Ryan Edwards in the area, but he couldn’t find a team-mate with his low cross.

Connah’s Quay then doubled their lead on the half-hour when Josh Williams burst through a weak tackle by Lewis Sirrell and set up a tap in for Hayes at the far post for his second goal of the game.

McCready did get shot on target just before half-time, but it was straight at the keeper.

The second half saw Bay much more on the front foot, bolstered by great support from another big following, and they forced a number of corners, with Matty Hill’s first time shot bringing a diving save from Firth from one of them.

Connah’s Quay, however, were always a threat on the break and Ryan Woods made a good save at the feet of the onrushing Mike Hayes and saved another effort with his foot before the home side killed the tie off with a third goal on 69 minutes.

Woods did well to get a hand on a shot from Ryan Stratulis, but Michael Wilde was following up to stab home the loose ball.

A late penalty converted by Callum Morris was cruel on the Bay, but they will regroup and get back to their main target of trying to win promotion to the top flight.

If successful, this result showed the standards they have to match to do well, but Steve added: “We are not a million miles away, not on that second half performance anyway.”

COLWYN BAY: Ryan Woods, Lewis Sirrell, Ryan Edwards, Tom McCready (Tom Creamer 46), Matty Hill, Dylan Allshorn (Sam Downey 71), Guto Williams (Stefan Edwards 71), Sam Hart, Kristian Platt, Alex Downes (Joe Williams 88), James Kirby (Lindfield 74).

Attendance: 539