GOALKEEPER Joe Smith, making only his fourth start of the season, was the hero as Colwyn Bay won on penalties at Newtown to progress to the next round of the JD Welsh Cup.

Jiff had made some fine saves to keep his side in the game before Jamie Cumming scored an 80th minute equaliser, and then pulled off another big save in the shoot-out as the Seagulls won it 5-3 with Tom McCready, Nick Rushton, Jamie Cumming, Udi Akpan and Matty Hill all successful from the spot.

It was a big return as well from injury for Matty Hill, who, after coming on as a second half substitute, provided the cross for Jamie Cumming’s goal, and then hit the tie-winning penalty.

In a goalless first half Smith made a fine save after a defensive error had let in Callum Roberts, and made two other good saves from Aaron Williams.

Newtown, who had assistant manager Callum McKenzie red carded, also had a goal disallowed for a foul.

In the second half Joe Smith did well to turn an effort from Zac Hartley away for a corner before the home side took the lead on 58 minutes with a good finish from Aaron Williams.

Matty Hill did well when he came on and hit a shot from 20 yards over the bar after a strong run, before crossing from the right for Jamie Cumming to score the equaliser on 80 minutes,

Joe Smith, who is on loan from Chester, made another great save to deny Newtown a late winner and take the tie to penalties, with Bay going though to spark huge celebrations among the big Bay following.

See manager Steve Evans’ post-match comments on Newtown vs CPD Bae Colwyn – JD Welsh Cup Round 3 – YouTube

COLWYN BAY: Joe Smith, Alex Downes, Stef Edwards, Cai Owen, Sam Downey (Nick Rushton 65), Tom McCready, Jamie Cumming, Sam Hart, Dan Jones (Sam Turner 85), Tom Creamer (Matty Hill 63), Udoyen AKpan. Subs not used: Brandon Diau, Dylan Allshorn.

Attendance: 309



Jamie Cumming scores the 80th minute equaliser.

Image 1

Joe Smith saves Henry Cowans’ penalty

Image 2

Players and fans celebrate after Matty Hill’s winning spot kick.